February 6, 2015 - It's A Boy!

Saturday, February 07, 2015

So, we had a baby boy!! There isn't a whole lot to tell about the labour and delivery, but that's what follows.

On January 9, 2015, we were told to call our Dr. after 6p.m. to see if he could fit us in while he was on call that evening. So we called and were told we could come in at 8p.m. We packed up, loaded the car and went to dinner at my parent's place until we had to leave.

I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life. My pain tolerance is average to slightly above average. Still, knowing you are in for a night of pain? That frayed my nerves. we arrived to the hospital on time, which is a feat in and of itself since we are both late all the time. We registered and got set up. Then we waited... and waited... and waited. We chatted with some nice people in the waiting room; a man who's wife had twin girls. At around eleven we were told they finally had a room for us and if no one came to get us by midnight to go and ask. No one came to get us. So we asked. Finally, around 2:30 a.m. we got a labour and delivery room. I was so lucky my sister was in town - baby waited for her! We called her and my mom and they came right over. I was told I was between 3 and 4 cm dilated and they were going to break my water. I hadn't felt any pain yet. They broke my water, which was also painless. For some reason, I was shocked that the water was warm. I didn't expect it to be cold, but I guess room temperature? Anyway, after that there was more waiting. I was 41+3 so one my water was broken, I stayed put. The contractions started becoming painful shortly thereafter. I had always planned on having an epidural. Around 4a.m. I asked what the wait time was for an anesthesiologist and was told it would be an hour. I told them to put me on the list, because in an hour, I was going to be in a lot of freaking pain. Around 5a.m., I got the epidural.

Oh. My. Freaking. God. That was amazing. Seriously, I felt amazing. I couldn't feel anything and managed to get about 2 hours sleep. When I woke up it was because I was feeling... something.

It gets very TMI after this point. Reader beware.

Around 7 a.m., I called the nurse because I felt the need to push. I thought I needed to use the washroom. Turns out, the waves I was feeling were contractions and that need to push, well that was my body telling me to push baby out. The nurse checked me and said I was only 7cm dilated, but the need was so intense that she called someone else (I can't remember if she was a nurse or a resident, but her name was also Michelle) to check me. Michelle checked me and said baby was at +1 and I was ready to go! That felt like the best news all night. So, they get me all set up, I push my epidural button for another quick hit (didn't realize it at the time, but the button wasn't dispensing meds) and started pushing at 7:15 a.m. It was at this point my overnight nurse went off-duty and my new nurse came in. They were both amazing! The new nurse said, "if you feel the need to push, you push! Never wait." It was difficult not pushing when I was told I wasn't ready yet.

I have the most amazing Dr. He had an emergency c-section (at least I think that's what the nurses said) and he came in around 7:30a.m. - after he was officially off! - when I was pushing and delivered my baby! Things happened very quickly at this point. Between my Dr. and my sister, I found the right rhythm for pushing and at 8:09a.m. on January 10, 2015 I delivered a healthy baby boy! Husband cut the cord and everyone cried. My dad and brother were at the hospital already and they also got to meet the baby right away. Having everyone around was really amazing. I tore a little, so the Dr. stitched me up. The first prick of the sutures was unexpected and painful, so they told me to push the epidural button. That's when we realized that it wasn't delivering anymore, so I got some local.

Thoughts on the delivery: I think I had a bit of PTSD. My reaction after I delivered my baby was shock; happy shock, but still shock. I cried but in a "holy fucking crap! what now?" way. Husband and I named him right away and I got my hour of skin-to-skin while I delivered the placenta. Best feeling ever to deliver the placenta - such a relief! I felt so much better when I was officially postpartum.

I was not a happy pregnant lady. I was much happier after delivery.

I hesitate to say the delivery wasn't painful, but pain wasn't my first memory. The epidural took amazingly well. I had total pain control without being unable to use my lower half. I still had enough feeling in my legs, something I was worried about, to still be able to move them. I wasn't going to be able to stand mind you, but still felt good to more or less feel like I had the use of them.

Post-delivery there are all sorts of gross things they do - all of them felt pretty good. Baby got cleaned up, we got transferred to a private room (so worth the extra money!) and commenced being parents. Husband was amazing. He took to fatherhood immediately and he took great care of me since I couldn't really do much for awhile. I was really sore afterwards. I fell like a huge "DUH" is in order there. We stayed in the hospital overnight and then left on Sunday.... where Husband, baby, my brother and my dad started watching Sunday football. Yeah. Ridiculous!

You Might Also Like